By remaining vigilant and reacting quickly to warning signs of an impending mood episode, you many be able to short-circuit mania. Here are a few tips that can help:
- Mark seasons, events, or periods of time that you find particularly stressful and consult you doctor and therapist for strategies to reduce and cope with stress
- Sleep more and party less until your mood stabilizes
- Channel your energy into productive, physical labor
- Avoid all the wrong people – people who are stressful or wind you up
- Phone a friend – a calm friend
- Tune into some relaxing sounds to calm yourself down
- Breathe deeply, stretch and focus without thinking too much about the future.
- Call in sick when work stresses you out
- Check with your therapist for advice
- Get your meds checked by your doctor.
Bipolar Disorder for Dummies (a great book!)